Thursday, January 29, 2009

Working from home is good for my health!!

For all the complaining I do about working from home (especially in the winter), one fact I realized I'm overlooking is that I am far healthier at home.

I mostly eat lunch at home. Sure, it's often microwave meals, but they are certainly healthier than the fast food variety I used to plow down when I worked at the Chicago Board of Trade. For anyone who has worked in Chicago's Loop, you know the variety of fast food: heart-attack inducing meat sandwiches, grease dripped everything, super-sugary fountain drinks - not to mention the frequent "pop" after (and sometimes during) work.

The occasional trip out for lunch in my neighborhood is still far superior to the fare in the loop. There are plenty of nice cafes and restaurants near my house that serve up healthy and delicious dishes.

In addition to eating far healthier at home, I also have much more freedom to exercise. I have been prescribed a workout routine by my physical therapist which during my 9-5 days was really hard to stay true to. Now, I have plenty of time and no excuses NOT to fulfill my daily duty to myself. And when the weather is warmer (ie, NOT 5 degrees) I also can enjoy walking outside. I know, it makes me sound like an old man. But I much prefer a long brisk walk to running. It's still good exercise, and it allows me to clear my brain and focus on important things.

No comments: