Friday, February 27, 2009

The End is Nigh

While the title of this post is inspired by the upcoming theatrical release of WATCHMEN, I can't help but feel the same way about The US Gov't, The Stock Market, and most importantly, my portfolio.

After a smart and promising January, February has handed my portfolio a real stress test. I haven't tallied the results yet...but they won't be pretty. Downright awful, actually. And today, the last day of the month was the icing on the cake.

Short put verticals in some select Health Care related stocks are putting me to the test. Thanks President Pork Sandwich.

The positions I'm currently in will surely test my hypothesis that time, time decay, and patience will yield positive results. I'm fighting several positions (constantly readjusting my spreads) in an effort to scratch out wins. It is my hope (and tepid expectation) that this month's losses will be next month's gains (...and then some).

In the meantime, in an effort to play it safe, I've decided to play Iron Condors in SPY while I let the remaining stock positions play themselves out to a conclusion. Small, slow, and steady. In times of crisis, the best action is to stay small, stay conservative, and stay watchful. This is my gameplan until we come to a final resolution of this 4-alarm fire drill.

No comments: